Matthew,
I want start by saying that I am grateful that your wife pulled through and that you and your new bride were able to start a family. My wife and I have been together for 6 year and have a 2 year old and I couldn't imagine what it must have been like to have something happen to a family member.
My heart goes out to those who have fallen onto tough times and have found themselves without a safe space to call home. I understand that there isn’t a quick, one size fits all kind of solution. As such, I believe there needs to be a multi-faceted, collaborative approach, whereby we work with our neighbouring municipalities, the provincial and federal governments to provide the services and support these citizens require. We need to ensure collaboration on transportation and land-use decisions so that we increase density along our major corridors (Shelbourne, Tillicum, Quadra, Mackenzie) and at our main transportation hubs (Uptown, Royal Oak). We must also work with agencies like BC Transit to create Park and Ride/incentive parking solutions. Increasing the housing stock will first slow down the the ever increasing housing costs for buyers and renters then gradually as lower the costs as more and more housing units are built. This wont crash the market but soften it. Along with this increased density will come a more walk-able community as we make use of mixed use buildings. The new buildings also must have a variety of types on units with in them to allow families of different sizes live there.
Benjamin Allan
No comments:
Post a Comment